Sunday, November 9, 2008

book club/goodreads.com

As my kids are maturing I have rediscovered an old hobby...reading. Now, I am serious this is just a new thing for me (again). We're talking since August. It all started with a neighborhood friend asking me to join a small book club. I was hesitant because I didn't want to commit to something that would be too time consuming, conflict with our evening schedule and on and on. But after listening to the ground rules and knowing a few members in the group were also mothers with young kids I decided it could work out well for me.

The details are simple:
1. No more than 400 pages
2. Must be something that is thought provoking, something that will warrant good discussion
3. Must be something that no one in the group as read before.
 
We are on our 4th book and did I say that I am LOVING IT!?!! The whole concept is great! I am reading books that I'd never choose on my own (which is a great challenge). I am getting out of the house for a guaranteed evening a month. (Seriously, I am not trapped, but I my schedule is more kid-centered than grown-up centered.) And did I tell you I still have a brain up there??? Man, it is so nice to reconnect with the brain cells that have been dormant for 8 years of babyhood. Plus, some of these books provide interesting topics to start a dialogue with my hubby. Other than the other fun things we get to talk about daily such as bills, schedules, family issues and of course...football ;-) 

Getting involved in a book club is a small step, but a great investment in my "self". It is also encouraging my oldest to spend her spare time reading books. (Monkey see, monkey do.) I am grateful for my new/old hobby. Three cheers for book club!

On a side note, my "hip sister" provided me with another bonus during this new adventure. It is a website (another social network) that is geared towards books. It is a great way to keep track of your reads, post ratings, give recommendations and see what your friends are reading. So check out www.goodreads.com. If you're a reader this is a cool site to discover. 

Have fun!!!
SLSK

No comments: