Sunday, September 14, 2008

Yeah for new activities!





With each season there are new things to discover. In our house, we've grown up a little and have discovered new interests. M has started taking gymnastic again (much to her liking) plus we added Girl Scouts to our list. G had matured to the point where organized sports are becoming enjoyable both for him and us. So, he's participating in soccer. He has a lot to learn, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

The pictures are from M's first GS campfire event hosted at a local state park. Our motivation for starting GS at such a late age revolves around moving to a new city and trying to connect with new friends. Plus I wanted to expose M to the idea of being involved with her community and enjoying it. Yes, I could try to do community service activities on my own, but honestly it is easier for me to do it through an organization and not reinvent the wheel myself.

I was once a GS back in the 80's. It is funny how some of the songs are still the same, but how the organization has modernized too. Being involved in GS in a large metro area opens the doors to MANY activities as well as community service projects. Plus her troop leaders are very motivated and creative. They have some fun events organized which will help us become familiar with our surroundings. 

G's pictures are from his first soccer game. He was pumped to get out there and be the goalie. His soccer is organized through the YMCA so there is an emphasis on sportsmanship, taking turns and having fun. My neighbor and fellow soccer parent stated her three rules to soccer for her son: 1. Don't use your hands. 2. Have fun. 3. No crying. (I am particularly fond of #3.) I loved that the kids shook hands before the game and did the traditional "high 5's" at the end. All saying, "good game". 

At G's age there are two things that are very important to the players...having your OWN water bottle and waving to your parents as you play. It was very funny to watch the ball whiz by G while he was trying to give Big E a thumbs up and a wink. Something I know we will miss when he grows older and more focused. 

So, we're off to a great start. Busy, but fun!

PS - Little E is along for the ride;-)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Go check out my blog. I left you a present!
Now you have to give out five awards. Yay!

Jennifer said...

I just added you to my blogroll too! I didn't know you had a blog but I added you to my list of must reads!