Friday, May 2, 2008

What REALLY needs to get done?


So, it is another wild and crazy Friday night at the Kraus' house! After a very long week full of kids' activities, Eric's work events and "life" I have found myself wanting nothing more than to watch a "chic flick" by myself...in the most comfortable jammy pants I own and not talk to anyone, but...

There are the evening's dinner dishes calling my name...maybe even a few (or more) things left over from yesterday...making the task a little more daunting. And laundry...always laundry. My cousin, Michelle, stated in an email several months ago that "laundry is the gift that keeps on giving". She is a genius ;-)

In my house laundry is a chore that haunts me when I sleep and when I am awake. I can NEVER get on top of it! I swear, Eric's stuff alone takes up three to four loads weekly. (Mental pic...the man is 6'8'' and over 299 lbs...you can only imagine how big his clothes are ...therefore...they take up a lot of space in the washer;-)) Plus I should sort out the paperwork (school notes, bills, cards to mail out, etc). It goes on and on...right?

I have a wonderful husband who helps me out whenever I ask...which the "asking" can drive you nuts on the wrong days, but nonetheless he is willing to help put the kids to bed, help with homework, put away dishes, etc. I have heard horror stories from other mothers that make me grateful he is a hands on Dad. So, why is it I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle daily to get it all done...not just the chores, but enriching my children's lives with the simple pleasures of coloring with them, reading to them and holding them?

I know our society has raised the stakes of the "perfect" family. The "perfectly" decorated home. The "perfectly" decorated children and the "perfectly" decorated marriage. It is a game that I could get caught up in and sometimes I find myself on the verge of jumping in with two feet, but then reality hits...no way...who's got the time? I can barely get a shower some days!?!

So it is with great pleasure that I am announcing...jammy pants here I come...when does the movie start?

Night!

No comments: