Thursday, May 29, 2008

Celebrating death with life


So, Eric and I have had a "rough" 18 months. We've both lost parents under different circumstances within a three month time span. Some people don't have close relationships with their parents and I must say that we can't relate. In essence, Eric and I lost our best friends when his father and my mother passed away. Some say that it will get easier with time, but I say that somedays it gets harder. Although the "sting" subsides...the loss will always remain.
In the midst of our grief, there is much joy and celebration to enjoy. In fact, Eric's family started a golf outing to honor his father, Greg. This Memorial Day weekend marked the 2nd annual event with 94 golfers in tow. Not only that, but we had family and friends alike decend upon our small town in Iowa which made for a weekend full of laughter, tears and fantastic memories. 
The weekend consisted of a community band event, the golf outing, a large family dinner and dance as well as time in the hotel pool with the little ones...I think we counted 40 kids at one point. I am sure we missed a few ;-) 
Many thanks and kudos go out to Eric's sister and husband as they were the driving force behind this event. Without their direction...we'd be sitting in Iowa starting at each other.
So, although we've lost two precious souls in our lives, Eric and I agree that we are grateful for what we have...three beautiful children, a good job and a roof over our heads. The rest of the details are just perks!
Any yes...that is the Pope's hat on Eric's head while I am wearing bunny ears. No party is a good party unless it is a themed party. This year's theme was "hat" party!

No comments: