Sunday, July 20, 2008

Can it really be true?


I've searched the aisles of notebooks, pencils and folders for the "right" thing while weaving through a sea a people on the same mission. I've rechecked the list, emailed the teacher and labeled all of the supplies. We attended the "Meet the Teacher" night, collected all of the paperwork and packed the backpack. I can't believe the day has arrived... 
THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!
You might be scratching your head thinking, "Isn't it still summer?" Well, technically you're right. Summer doesn't end for quite a while, but our public school district runs on a year around program. Something that is new to us, but exciting at the same time. Basically the students are in school for nine weeks and off for three weeks. Summer has a six week break, but it goes FAST! They have been a "year around" system for over 40 years. It started when the district formed years ago. Everyone I've talked to loves it for many reasons. The teachers rave about how well it works for their teaching techniques. Plus it seems to help the students stay "fresh". 
So, our eldest ventured off into another year of elementary bliss. Our middle child will have another year at preschool while the "baby" enjoys one day a week at a "mother's day out" program. 
You would think I'd have time on my hands, but in reality our routine has made my mini-van my second home. And I work hard not to sign up for too many activities to maintain our sanity, but nonetheless we're on the go like most families. 
So, raise your "cups of joe" to another school year. Homework here we come!!! 
Cheers - S

No comments: